[CentOS] Active Directory

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Tue Jul 24 04:12:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 15:31 +0200, zen at allegro.pl wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 14:33:18 Adriatik Allamani wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > For the moment I manage the user in the network with win 2000 Server.
> > I want to use an linux OS to manaxhe the network? Is this possible.
> >
> > So. How can I organize and configure the Cent OS to use it as Active
> > Directory or something like this, and to open all the existing users
> > there, and then to shut down the win2000 Server and to Activate the
> > CentOS as domain controller?
> >
> > Can someone help me in this?
>
> It really depends on what parts of AD are you using. To centralize
> user/password management and home directories OpenLDAP should be sufficient.
> But if you want to replace more sophisticated AD features (software
> deployment, etc.), ther is nothing good enough (and Open Source/Free) for
> Linux.
> If your environment is mostly Windows based, I'd stay with AD.

I agree ... currently there is no drop-in replacement for AD on the *nix
side.  Possibly when Samba 4 is complete (about a year?) there will be
since the goal is for a complete implementation of AD & File/Print
services that are in Windows 2003.  I've been playing with the preview
versions, but it's still not complete enough to use yet.

Does anybody else know, do you need Services for Unix on the AD server
to get the Posix schema?

We run Novell Netware, so have not had to connect to AD.

Regards,
Paul Berger