[CentOS] Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Jul 25 14:37:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:27:10 +0200
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Dave K wrote:
> > On 7/25/07, Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
> > > I agree completely.  I don't see any real showstoppers that would
> > > prevent it from being a fine desktop.  There are a few extras
> > > that I'd want to grab from the Fedora repos, but you can't beat
> > > the cost/stability/speedy updates/7 year EOL with a stick.
> >
> > I agree, but I think the earlier comments have some validity though.
> > It would be far more useful if certain key apps (e.g. FireFox and
> > OpenOffice, I'm sure each of us has their own "key app" list) were
> > kept up-to-date,
>
> They are kept functional and secure. I think that is enough in many
> cases.
>
> If someone really needs a special app they can always compile it
> and/or install it in their $HOME.
>
> /Peter

You are assuming of course that these end users are NOT Windows users.
I tried Cent as an alt-desktop for our users. It lacks big time what
the end user needs without the IT department getting involved and
installing for the end user.

IMHO, what Cent ought to do - is some how get hand on the RHEL Desktop
and see what's done there and work along those lines.

--
Best regards,
Chris