[CentOS] Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Wed Jul 25 18:41:57 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 11:21 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am not sure if this is a concern, but if you are
> running x86_64 desktop systems then i would suggest
> putting the 32 bit centos. this will make life a lot
> more pleasant for you when installing firefox and
> other apps. if it is x86 then carry on :)
>
> my .02 cents
>

> Steven

I have not run into any problems using 64bit as my desktop (I run
Firefox as 32bit to get flash to work, but that is the only
"modification").  I do this both at home and at work.  Granted, I use
Fedora 7 on both of them, but there is no reason why you couldn't get
the same functionality using CentOS.  I'm not afraid of compiling or
rebuilding RPMs though.  Between Karanbir's RPM repository
( http://centos.karan.org ) and EPEL
( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL ) I imagine that you could have a
fairly complete desktop OS (I just prefer more bleeding-edge
software/features).

--
Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
Linux System Administrator