[CentOS] Re: Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jul 26 14:59:42 UTC 2007

beast spake the following on 7/26/2007 2:39 AM:
> On 26/07/07 11:21 +0700, beast wrote:
>>> CentOS 5.0 as the base, but OpenOffice repo, Firefox repo and
>>> possibly Gnome or KDE repo to keep primary office applications
>>> current.
>> I'm confused here. Suppose in the next 3 year the latest OO version is
>> 3.1.1,
>> today OO in Centos5 is 2.0.4, will it get updated to version 3.x or still
>> using 2.x?
> It seems not. Updates directory in Centos 3 still contains OOv1.1.2 only.
> So, what is the meaning of "supported for 5 years"? is it only for bug and
> security fixes, not features or enhancements?
> Suppose in the next year, standard interface for harddisk is WATA
> (wireless ATA
> :), will it be added in Centos5?
> Sorry for asking such questions, i just reaaly want to know here :)
>> or better just upgrade to Centos7 which has OOv3.1?
> If I choose this path, can it be automatically done using yum with local
> repository? what about existing data/settings/custom apps/etc? anyone has
> real experiences on upgrading OS?
> Personally, I never upgrade the OS. I simply install the fresh one, but its
> fine on my laptop, not for my clients.
> Thanks!
> --beast
You can keep copies of existing data on a server, or better yet, store the
data on NFS mounted home directories. If the systems are set up properly, you
can get almost everything auto loaded to a new machine/distro just by who logs
in. Custom software adds a headache, but can be done if scripted properly. If
you have custom software on more than 2 or 3 machines, but those machines are
the same, you can have multiple images.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!