[CentOS] Thank you: Wiki data for adding 3rd party repository, ProtectBase and Priorities

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:34:45 UTC 2007

Here's how I set up my repository priorities, with some questions,
and request for comments on whether there are better ways of doing
things.  I'm running on CentOS 5, some of the repositories do not
exist, some exist but are empty, etc.

Depending on whether I am in production, test, or development,
various subsets of these may be enabled/disabled.

Priority 1

    base
    updates
    fasttrack

    These all need to be at the same level so they can replace one another.

    Saw some indciations that fasttrack might be CentOS4 only.  But there is
    a Cento5 repo, currently empty

Priority 2

    addons
    csgfs
    centosplus
    contrib
    extras
    epel

    addons exists for CentOS5, but is currently empty.  Will anything ever
    appear here?

    contrib and csgfs do not exist for CentOS5.  I wonder about csgfs, it
    sounded interesting but I never took a close look at it.  What happened
    to this stuff, did it vanish or move to a different repo?

    I'm assuming contrib is gone forever in CentOS5.

    epel exists, but not ready for prime time?  I'm assuming that
    when it is ready it will go here.

Priority 3

    atrpms
    dag
    dries
    kbs-CentOS-Extras
    kbs-CentOS-Misc
    kde-all
    kde
    rpmforge

    There is a lot of overlap here.

    Have not yet taken a close look at each one.

    Several of these have merged into rpmforge.

    Which ones should still be used with CentOS5.

    kde does not distinguish between CentOS 4 or 5
    which sounds bogus.

Priority 4

    kbs-CentOS-Misc-Testing
    kde-testing-all
    kde-testing

    Hope I never need to dig this deep into the bleeding edge.

Priority 5

    kde-unstable-all
    kde-unstable

    Not sure which is less stable testing or unstable.

--
Drew Einhorn