[CentOS] Thank you: Wiki data for adding 3rd party repository, ProtectBase and Priorities

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jul 26 19:18:13 UTC 2007

drew einhorn wrote:

> On 7/26/07, *Dave K* <davek08054 at gmail.com
> <mailto:davek08054 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/26/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com <mailto:amyagi at gmail.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>     > If you ever set up your own local repo, that should be given the
>     > highest priority.  In that case, you'd better start with a 2 for base
>     > etc.
>
>     I'm just starting to "play with" priorities, but I actually made mine
>     all multiples of 10 on the first setup to make tuning easier.
>

> Great minds think  alike.  I just sent a message suggesting the same thing.
>
>     Also, I think I've found that if you really want to use the "plus"
>     repo it needs to be the same priority as "base" and "updates".
>

> That could be a problem.   Thanks.

Well ... actually, having plus lower is a good thing.  BUT, it requires
you to exclude the packages that exist in Base/Updates if you use the
Plus repo.

This is "A GOOD THING" though.  You can install anything in plus that is
not a duplicate package in base/updates without a problem ... but you
can't accidentally install a package that is also in base/updates
without specifically excluding it.