[CentOS] Thank you: Wiki data for adding 3rd party repository, ProtectBase and Priorities

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:45:42 UTC 2007

> > Great minds think  alike.  I just sent a message suggesting the same
> thing.
> >
> >     Also, I think I've found that if you really want to use the "plus"
> >     repo it needs to be the same priority as "base" and "updates".
> >

> > That could be a problem.   Thanks.
>
> Well ... actually, having plus lower is a good thing.  BUT, it requires
> you to exclude the packages that exist in Base/Updates if you use the
> Plus repo.
>
> This is "A GOOD THING" though.  You can install anything in plus that is
> not a duplicate package in base/updates without a problem ... but you
> can't accidentally install a package that is also in base/updates
> without specifically excluding it.

Hmm.  I'm not sure I understand the easiest way to see the correct solution,
to these kinds of problemd.  It would be nice if there were a way to see
what
packages are available, but blocked by packages in higher priority repos, or
missing dependencies.

This reminds me of another related question but forgot to ask.

Don't remember exactly which distribution I was running at the time.
But I had problems with yum being unable to install certain packages,
because issues with complex dependencies were too difficult for it.
Someone suggested switching to the "smart" package manager,
which was smart enough to downgrade certain packages to resolve
dependency issues.  Have not seen signs of similar problems so
far with yum on CentOS.  Has yum caught up with "smart", or
are there still some issues here.

--
Drew Einhorn