[CentOS] drive to standby after idle timeout?

Brian brian-list at comcast.net
Fri Jul 27 14:36:44 UTC 2007

On Jul 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Tru Huynh wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 11:35:07AM -0400, Brian wrote:
>> I'd like to to put the hard drives in standby mode during periods of
>> no activity. I'm just running a file server plus a couple small
>> things on a Qube 3 from home, although the web stuff will increase
>> it's still minimal.
>>
>> On my NetBSD systems I can use atactl to do this via:
>>
>> mount -u -o async,noatime,nodevmtime /
>> mount -u -o async,noatime /usr
>> atactl wd0 setidle 5
>>
>> [wait a time]
>> # atactl wd0 checkpower
>> Current power status: Standby mode
>>
>> I looked at smartctl but it doesn't look like I can set idle time
>> with it, just readout status and perform self-tests.  Is there a way?
>
> if it's some IDE drive then hdparm(8) might help:

hdparm -y /dev/hdd

hmm.. still doesn't seem to stick:

---
root at qube3 /]# hdparm -y /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
issuing standby command
[root at qube3 /]# hdparm -C /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
drive state is: active/idle
[root at qube3 /]#

---
I see similar results when setting the spindown time with -S.

Recently run commands should be memory-resident, right? Or do I need
to set something somewhere for that to happen?
(I'm not activating the drive again just to run hdparm am I?)

I don't see any cron events that are set for every minute or anything
super short.

Do I need to set specific mount options?  If so, which ones?

Thanks-

Brian