[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 30 21:22:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:12:43PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> I understand how a lot of it "went down" (saw the meetings and am on
> the lists as well), I'm just wondering if that aside (I know, hard to
> do :), could there feasibly be an RPM-based solution to this that would
> make repo-tags obsolete?

Sure, but repotag are not the real issue, they were just the tip of
the iceberg that rammed the Titanic. The discussion about them
revealed certain aspects of EPEL or at least key persons inside EPEL
that showed that there is no real interest in cooperating with other
repos other than helping EPEL during the startup phase.

EPEL created in RHEL-land the same rift that fedora.us created years
back in Fedora-land. So maybe even the success of fedora.us is an
ethically questionable roadmap for EPEL for dealing with
repo-darwinism.

Fedora.us ignored the existance of other repos and solely concentrated
on their own growth while the other repos tried to remain
compatible. This time the burden will not be pushed away, if EPEL
breaks something they will have to fix it.

So to get back to the original question: Should RPMforge and EPEL be
mixed? Please ask EPEL on this and about the (lack of) guaranty that
EPEL will not break RPMforge (or any other repo).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net