[CentOS] Seeking pointers to info about LVM migration and performance

Fri Jul 6 22:42:47 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

We have a large MySQL database currently running on a CentOS 3.x
server with an external SCSI RAID device.  This is currently an ext2
filesystem because it was migrated once previously from an even older
RedHat system.  We need to add storage capacity to this database and
prepare for additional future growth.  One of the options under
consideration is to move to CentOS 5 and use LVM.

Of some concern is that we run some pretty heavy-duty queries against
this database in close to real time, so we don't want the switch to
scalable storage to have a significant impact on read latency.

Consequently I'm looking for sources of information on two topics:
- What kind of performance can we expect from an LVM group as compared
to mounting the RAID array directly?
- What's involved in migrating our filesystem from ext2 to LVM with a
minimum of downtime?

Thanks in advance for directions.