[CentOS] CentOS5: Cannot Print

Sat Jul 7 22:43:08 UTC 2007
Robert Thompson <the_drbobo at earthlink.net>

I have a HP OfficeJet K80xi all-in-one USB printer. The hplip web site
tells me to do "rpm -qa hplip" from a virtual console. The result is
"hplip-1.6.7-4.1.e15" (driver model installed). The web site table shows
any driver later than 0.9.5 should work. When I send a file to the
printer from a virtual console (lp filename), the response is "request
ID is HPOJK80-7 (1 file(s)" but no printer action. The command lpstat
shows only that job id listed. The command lpq response is "HPOJK80 is
ready and printing", and lists only two jobs: #7 & a prior submission
#5. Nothing has ever printed since I switched to CentOS5.

The command "system-config-printer" opens a window "printer
configuration - localhost". There are 6 sub-windows. The first,
"Settings" has a field titled: "Device URI". What is this supposed to
mean? Is it the web address where you can download the latest driver? I
can't believe the program checks for the latest every time it runs?
There is a second field labeled Make and Model". This appears to be
intended for the driver name? The current entry is not the correct name?
Where is the driver stored?
I obviously am confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in
advance. Bob T.