[CentOS] NIS problems after installation

Mon Jul 16 23:08:53 UTC 2007
Steve Strong <strong at crwash.org>

so, i just installed CentOS on our server and set up NIS using the same
configuration as on our other server, but the clients' ypbind services
complain that although they can find the correct server, the server does
not respond to requests.

to debug this, i've:

    *    pinged the server using its ip and it's name
    *    ssh'ed to the server using it's ip and name
    *    ftp'd to the server using its ip and name
    *    used dig to get the server's address from itself (dig @stretch
      stretch.washcslab.org
    *    checked to see that nfs and ypserv are running
    *    checked to see if stretch could bind to it's own nis server

and all of these were successful.  so, I also:

    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the server) both in
      debug mode and gotten no errors
    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the CLIENT) both in
      debug mode and gotten no errors

any help with this really gnarly bug would be greatly appreciated!
steve

--
Steve Strong
Math and Computer Science