[CentOS] IHC7 RAID-1 or Kernel Software RAID-1?

Tue Jul 17 17:32:47 UTC 2007
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk>

I'm just setting up a SuperMicro system which has twin SATA disks on an
Intel IHC7 RAID-capable controller.

The system came with Fedora 5 pre-installed, which I will be removing and
replacing with CentOS 4.5. But before doing so, I've been having a look at
how the original vendor configured it.

When I've built systems previously, I've disabled any RAID controller and
used kernel software RAID-1, set up per-partition, and this has worked
well.

This system is currently set up with hardware RAID enabled, which is
detected by the kernel device mapper. I can see what it has found using
"dmraid" with -b, -r and -s. A single physical volume was created
on the mapped RAID-1 device, and then logical volumes created on that.

My question is: which kind of configuration will generally give me better
performance? To use the IHC7 RAID-1 as currently set up, or to use Linux
software RAID-1 as I am used to doing? Any other reasons to choose one
over the other?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Cheers
Tony