[CentOS] yum through a squid proxy

Thu Jul 19 09:23:03 UTC 2007
Dave <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com>

Hello,
    I've got a centos5 box that is now behind a what was transparent squid
proxy. The proxy now has it's own dedicated ip and uses proxy basic
authentication. I've got a firewall that redirects all outgoing port 80
traffic to that ip so anyone wishing access goes proxied. The problem is yum
on my centos5 can't retrieve the .xml files for the various yum
repositories. In the squid access.log on the router i'm seeing invalid
request method. This means that the box isn't yet talking proxy and is still
trying to go through direct. To my yum.conf file i added lines similar to
these:

# The proxy server - proxy server:port number
proxy=http://mycache.mydomain.com:3128
# The account details for yum connections
proxy_username=yum-user
proxy_password=qwerty

I tried port 80 on that proxy line with the same results. Telneting to that
ip/port works fine, iptables isn't blocking it. On the firewall i added the
yum-user to the password file and used squid's ncsa_auth program to confirm
the username/password combination, output was a simple "ok". On the centos5
box i did a service network restart, which didn't work, yum update gave me
the same error.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks.
Dave.