[CentOS] installing progs from source on CentOS

Sun Jul 1 17:31:59 UTC 2007
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 09:58:02AM -0700, Rogelio Bastardo alleged:
> I'd like to install NagiosQL on CentOS, but I don't see a yum package
> for it, so I'm going to download the source code.
>
> If I download it, where in CentOS's file system (i.e. in which
> directory) is the best place to untar, compile, and run it?

Download it to your home directory (or a subdir), untar and build it as
yourself (not root!), and  su -c "make install".

For more complicated programs, I like to use
--prefix=/usr/local/$pkgname/$pkgversion so all of its files are easily
contained.  Then I create that directory, chown it to me, run 'make
install' as me, and chown it all to root afterwards.

University of Southern California

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0