[CentOS] Both archs version rpm are installed during update?

Mon Jul 2 17:28:26 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Alexx wrote:
> During last update packets pidgin and libpurple were updated while "yum
> update"-ing
>
> Is it a common and normal thing that both x86_64 and i386 arch rpms are
> installed during update? This not the first time.

Sort of ...

If the i386 items were installed before, then yes, they will be updated.

The x86_64 tree has x86_64 and i386 rpms in it, this is by design (of
upstream).  I personally like the Debian approach for this (make them
totally separate distros and don't mix them).

There are some programs that are not available on x86_64 ... though in
CentOS-5 there are less of them.

Java and Flash plugins for mozilla/firefox are some.

You can add this to your .rpmmacros (create it if it does not exist in
your home directory):

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Now you can use RPM to see which i[3,5,6]86 rpms are installed ... like
this:

rpm -qa | grep 'i[3,5,6]86'

If you have x86_64 rpms for all these, you can remove the i[3,5,6]86
versions if you want to.

The bottom line, you can have both without problem ... though I don't
normally do x86_64 on workstations.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes