[CentOS] dumb sendmail question -- how to get outbound messages to use "example.com" instead of hostname?

Tue Jul 3 02:48:35 UTC 2007
Dan Anderson <dan.w.anderson at gmail.com>

On 7/2/07, Richard Chapman <rchapman at aardvark.com.au> wrote:
> My theory is that the user "root" is a "trusted
> user" and is allowed to override outgoing email addresses. I think this
> is overriding the masquerading. I suspect that the masquerading will
> work for non-trusted users.

You are correct. Root is exposed by default:

"There are always users that need to be "exposed" -- that is, their
internal site name should be displayed instead of the masquerade name.
Root is an example (which has been "exposed" by default prior to 8.10).
You can add users to this list using

	EXPOSED_USER(`usernames')"

from http://www.sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/cf/README

--