[CentOS] alternate port for vsftp

Tue Jul 3 18:13:04 UTC 2007
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Stephen Harris wrote:
>> On a fresh install of CentOS5, I need to use an alternate port for ftp.
>> Currently vsftpd wants the standard port which is in use by another
>> system on my NATted network.  So...how does one go about reconfiguring
>> vsftpd to do this?  I've looked in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf to no avail.
>>

> >From the FAQ that's included with the documentation (at least on my 4.5
> machine)
>
>   Q) Help! Can I change the port that vsftpd runs on?
>   A1) Yes. If you are running vsftpd in standalone mode, use the "listen_port"
>   directive in vsftpd.conf.
>   A2) Yes. If you are running vsftpd from an inetd or xinetd program, this
>   becomes an inetd or xinetd problem. You must change the inetd or xinetd
>   configuration files (perhaps /etc/inetd.conf or /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd)
>
> Sometimes reading the documentation helps :-)

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, I have read the docs, have ensured
that vsftpd is not running under xinetd (vsftpd.conf file shows
listen=YES, listen_port=318);  I am *not* listening for IPv6.

I can't start the daemon.  Running /etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd status shows
"vsftpd dead but subsys locked".  This occurs each and every time unless
I remove listen_port= from the conf file and let the daemon use port 21.

Soooo...I'm stuck and while I know I can get this working with proftpd,
I'd rather not for obvious security reason.

Thanks again, in advance, for any replies.

Regards,
~Ray