[CentOS] How to configure PAM in Centos 5 64-bit?

Wed Jul 4 02:10:09 UTC 2007
Ben <abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au>

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Tim Meanor wrote:
>
>> Just edit system-auth directly.  authconfig is okay for doing some
>> initial configuration, but once you get beyond that, you'll have to
>> just edit the files directly.
>
> Again, the top of the system-auth file has comments saying it is
> auto-generated and any changes made to it will be overwritten by
> authconfig, which makes me hesitant to change the file, as the changes
> may not stick.  It seems your info contradicts the file's own
> warnings, not saying you are wrong, but trying to find the right
> answer compared to what the file itself says.

take a look at "man authconfig".

in particular the FILES section.

    ls -l /etc/pam.d/system-auth*

authconfig modifies /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac, /etc/pam.d/system-auth is
a symlink to /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac.

    rm -f /etc/pam.d/system-auth
    cp /etc/pam.d/system-auth-ac /etc/pam.d/system-auth

and edit away without fear of authconfig.

Ben