[CentOS] First install No Sound

Fri Jul 6 04:09:46 UTC 2007
John Bowden <j-alan at btconnect.com>

On Friday 06 July 2007 04:44, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:30:58AM +0100, John Bowden alleged:
> > The sound card is an on board one.
> >
> > class: AUDIO
> > bus: PCI
> > detached: 0
> > desc: "nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio"
> > vendorId: 10de
> > deviceId: 03f0
> > subVendorId: 1849
> > subDeviceId: 0862
> > pciType: 1
> > pcidom: ? ?0
> > pcibus: ?0
> > pcidev: ?5
> > pcifn: ?0
> > -
> > class: AUDIO
> > bus: ISAPNP
> > detached: 0
> > driver: snd-mpu401
> > desc: "PNPb006"
> > deviceId: PNPb006
> >
> > The sound card detection program does see it but no sound come out when I
> > test it. I'm not sure but I think that the nvidia chip set may be quite a
> > new one and I'm beginning to think it might not be supported yet in
> > Linux.
>
> The listing for a driver implies that it is supported.  This might be a
> dumb question, but did you check the volume settings in the mixer app?
Not such a dumb question, I had tried running the alsamixer command when I had
F7 installed but not after getting rid of F7 and installing CentOS. I have
just tried the command from the cli and here is what I got.

[john at localhost ~]$ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
[john at localhost ~]$

When KDE starts up it gives me a error message about the sound problem. Next
time I reboot I will make a note of what it is. I know that the speakers are
plugged into the correct socket as this machine is one of two that dual boots
windozs and I get sound when I run windoz to play games.
I'm off to bed now as its just past 5am so will shut down this box and have
another try later on today. Thanks for the help so far though.
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)