[CentOS] First install No Sound

Fri Jul 6 15:37:19 UTC 2007
John Bowden <j-alan at btconnect.com>

On Friday 06 July 2007 11:19, Lorenzo wrote:
> Garrick Staples ha scritto:

> >> Not such a dumb question, I had tried running the alsamixer command when
> >> I had F7 installed but not after getting rid of F7 and installing
> >> CentOS. I have just tried the command from the cli and here is what I
> >> got.
> >>
> >> [john at localhost ~]$ alsamixer
> >>
> >> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
> >> [john at localhost ~]$
> >>
> >> When KDE starts up it gives me a error message about the sound problem.
> >> Next time I reboot I will make a note of what it is. I know that the
> >> speakers are plugged into the correct socket as this machine is one of
> >> two that dual boots windozs and I get sound when I run windoz to play
> >> games.
> >> I'm off to bed now as its just past 5am so will shut down this box and
> >> have another try later on today. Thanks for the help so far though.
> >
> > That means the driver isn't loaded.  'modprobe snd-mpu401' as root and
> > try again.
>
> I have a similar board from Asrock which has apparently the same onboard
> audio card; on my FC5 install the audio module used is snd-hda-intel and
> the sound works... the relevant section in /etc/modules.conf is:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
>
> Cheers
>
> Lorenzo Quatrini
It would seem that I do not have a "modules.conf in /ect/. I have opened
konqueror in super user mode and done a search starting from / and the only
matching file I can find is in
file:///usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/Modules.conf.
I do have a modeprob.conf in /ect and it does have some sound entries in it. I
can post the contents if needed.
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)