[CentOS] Re: SMP motherboard not recognized

Wed Jul 11 19:05:26 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

gen2 spake the following on 7/11/2007 11:02 AM:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> Is bios up to date?
>> Does non zen kernel detect both processors?
>
> Bios is not up to date, rather not go anywhere near that considering I
> can boot to the gentoo-minimal CD and see all 4 cores. Unless I'm not
> understanding something there...please explain if so. I assume if the
> bios is working for 2.6.16 gentoo, it should be fine for centos 2.6.18.
>
> non zen kernel panics immediately on boot, 2.6.18-8.1.8 or 2.6.18-8.1.6.
But a kernel from RedHat is not equal to a kernel from Gentoo. Patches are
added by each distro to comply with whatever patching ideal they have, or
hardware they are trying to comply with.
Unless it botches on install, a bios update usually doesn't hurt anything.
I see install docs on the IBM site up to RedHat Ent.4, so it should be OK. But
all the docs mention having the bios up to date.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and