SOLVED: Re: [CentOS] Newbie ADSL configuration, ppp0 can't activate & config not found

Sun Jul 15 17:33:58 UTC 2007
Lanny Marcus <mailing-lists at computer2.com>

>Message: 26
>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:59:09 -0400
>From: Dan Halbert <halbert at everyzing.com>
>Subject: Re: SOLVED:  Re: [CentOS] Newbie ADSL configuration,   ppp0
>        can't   activate &  config  not found

>Great! By the way, you should not even need to specify the DNS
>servers.
>In the DHCP info your router gives your machine, it will probably list
>itself as the DNS server. (DHCP does not return just an IP address but
>also a bunch of other info such as subnet mask and DNS servers.)

Yes. When I checked the network configuration for eth0, the 2 IP
addresses for their DNS servers that I'd entered, had been changed, to
192.168.1.1, the IP of the ADSL Router.

>The router just forwards DNS requests it gets on to the real DNS
>servers (it found out those when it itself connected to the ISP).. So
>don't specify the DNS servers yourself and then you won't have to do
>anything if the ISP's DNS serves change.

That works. I will change that in the other boxes (also dual boot),
after I have the Firewall/Router box up and running.

When I did ifconfig -a    it came back with inet addr 192.168.1.10
Bcast 192.168.1.255 and Mask 255.255.255.0

When I did nslookup 192.168.1.10    it came back with
server 192.168.1.1 Address 192.168.1.1#53 and
** Server can't find 10.1.168.192.in.addr.arpa NXDOMAIN

I downloaded the lastest versions of Devil-Linux and IPCop this
morning. I think I will try IPCop first, because it can be headless
and has a lot of documentation and other features I like. Devil-Linux
does not require a hard drive, which I believe would be better for
security.