[CentOS] Wireless newtworking in CentOS 5

Mon Jul 16 18:16:13 UTC 2007
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Red Hat has ipw2200 and ipw2100 drivers that are not free and have no
> SOURCE ... but if you are a paying client you can to get them.  Those
> drivers and firmware are not free or re-distributable by CentOS.

Ummmm. The drivers are free, they are licensed under the GPL v2. The
firmware is the problem:
<http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=7> - I don't think we
want to distribute that (we seem to be allowed to do so under certain
conditions, but my legalese sucks, especially the english dialect of
it). Yes, that sucks. And I'm sure their excuse is "FCC regulations".

> If running your wireless on Linux is important to you, complain to the
> laptop manufacturer so that they will put in devices that support linux
> properly out of the box.

Well, it's just a firmware download away, normally.

Cheers,

Ralph