[CentOS] NIS problems after installation

Tue Jul 17 07:15:50 UTC 2007
Steve Strong <strong at crwash.org>

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Steve Strong wrote:
>
>> so, i just installed CentOS on our server and set up NIS using the
>> same configuration as on our other server, but the clients' ypbind
>> services complain that although they can find the correct server, the
>> server does not respond to requests.
>>
>> to debug this, i've:
>>
>>    *    pinged the server using its ip and it's name
>>    *    ssh'ed to the server using it's ip and name
>>    *    ftp'd to the server using its ip and name
>>    *    used dig to get the server's address from itself (dig @stretch
>>      stretch.washcslab.org
>>    *    checked to see that nfs and ypserv are running
>>    *    checked to see if stretch could bind to it's own nis server
>>

>> and all of these were successful.  so, I also:
>>
>>    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the server) both in
>>      debug mode and gotten no errors
>>    * run ypserv (on the server) and ypbind (on the CLIENT) both in
>>      debug mode and gotten no errors
>>
>> any help with this really gnarly bug would be greatly appreciated!
>> steve
>
> Is ypserv compiled against libwrap? Does there need to be a
> hosts.allow entry?
>
> Is SELinux enabled? Does /var/log/audit/audit.log show anything?
>
> Is iptables in use? Does an exception need to be made?
>
> Can you attach strace to ypserv and see anything of significance?

ypserv:
i didn't compile it, i used the rpm that is standard with an
installation ---

selinux:
disabled (which i hate)

iptables:
how do i go about making an exception -- this seems like the problem,
since there is no report of an attempt to connect to ypserv by a client
in the debug output of a call to start ypserv

--
Steve Strong
Math and Computer Science
mailto:strong at crwash.org