[CentOS] Recommended REPO Setup for Desktop on Cos5

Wed Jul 18 15:58:27 UTC 2007
John Thomas <gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com>

Thank you for your comments, Jim.

> Without stepping on too many toes or getting all into the politics of
> the matter, EPEL has good packages, but they are unconcerned about
> playing nice with other repositories. The general sentiment seems to
> be that packagers who want their stuff distributed should simply use
> EPEL for distribution.
Does this make the best "protect strategy" epel before rpmforge (i.e.
yum should check in epel and if it is not in there, check rpmforge)?

> RPMForge and centos play very nicely together and the developers of
> both projects are in frequent contact.
Is RedHat in this loop?  Perhaps epel is Rehat's attempt to force a
bigger division between it and CentOS?

> Testing is just that. Don't use it if you're worried about possible breakage.
> ATrpms has some hard-to-find packages, but can replace system packages
> which can potentially cause issues.
Thanks, does it make sense to include these, but with a low priority
protection and, if so, which should be the lowest scoundrel ;)?

> Basically, while it's cumbersome, using the protectbase or priorites
> plugins is good, and if you're concerned about a repository, you might
> want to limit the repositories in the .repo file to only include
> certain packages.
The problem I found with includepkgs is that "yum --enablerepo=* search
whatever" does not find that whatever is easily installed by adding it
to the includepkgs line.

In that regard, which is better, protectbase or priorities?

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas