[CentOS] Active Directory

Tue Jul 24 12:09:28 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

zen at allegro.pl wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 14:33:18 Adriatik Allamani wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> For the moment I manage the user in the network with win 2000 Server.
>> I want to use an linux OS to manaxhe the network? Is this possible.
>>
>> So. How can I organize and configure the Cent OS to use it as Active
>> Directory or something like this, and to open all the existing users
>> there, and then to shut down the win2000 Server and to Activate the
>> CentOS as domain controller?
>>
>> Can someone help me in this?
>
> It really depends on what parts of AD are you using. To centralize
> user/password management and home directories OpenLDAP should be sufficient.
> But if you want to replace more sophisticated AD features (software
> deployment, etc.), ther is nothing good enough (and Open Source/Free) for
> Linux.
> If your environment is mostly Windows based, I'd stay with AD.

Basically, the Samba that comes with CentOS-4 or CentOS-5 can do a
WindowsNT type domain via LDAP.  You can connect Windows servers and
Clients (2000, 2003, XP ... not sure about vista) to this kind of domain
and share printers, file servers, etc.

The CentOS-5 samba can JOIN an active directory domain as a file server,
but it can not be a domain controller.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes