[CentOS] Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Wed Jul 25 14:21:44 UTC 2007
Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com>

On 7/25/07, Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:

> I agree completely.  I don't see any real showstoppers that would
> prevent it from being a fine desktop.  There are a few extras that I'd
> want to grab from the Fedora repos, but you can't beat the
> cost/stability/speedy updates/7 year EOL with a stick.

I agree, but I think the earlier comments have some validity though.
It would be far more useful if certain key apps (e.g. FireFox and
OpenOffice, I'm sure each of us has their own "key app" list) were
kept up-to-date, perhaps in an alternative repo.  And for supporting a
large deployment, they need to be a repo, building/installing manually
just isn't an option.

--
Dave K
Unix Systems & Network Administrator