[CentOS] Centos as a desktop, advisable?

Wed Jul 25 18:21:27 UTC 2007
Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com>

--- Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:

> Dave K wrote:
> > On 7/25/07, Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree completely.  I don't see any real
> showstoppers that would
> >> prevent it from being a fine desktop.  There are
> a few extras that I'd
> >> want to grab from the Fedora repos, but you can't
> beat the
> >> cost/stability/speedy updates/7 year EOL with a
> stick.
> >
> > I agree, but I think the earlier comments have
> some validity though.
> > It would be far more useful if certain key apps
> (e.g. FireFox and
> > OpenOffice, I'm sure each of us has their own "key
> app" list) were
> > kept up-to-date, perhaps in an alternative repo.
> And for supporting a
> > large deployment, they need to be a repo,
> building/installing manually
> > just isn't an option.
> >

> Man, you have the Centos plus repo, and if that does
> not make you happy,
> you have all the tools you need to roll your own
> repo. What is this
> about building/installing manually?

hello,

i am not sure if this is a concern, but if you are
running x86_64 desktop systems then i would suggest
putting the 32 bit centos. this will make life a lot
more pleasant for you when installing firefox and
other apps. if it is x86 then carry on :)

my .02 cents

Steven

Get your Art Supplies @ www.littleartstore.com