[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Mon Jul 30 22:40:23 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Axel Thimm wrote:

>>> All the repotags request was about is to idntify epel packages as such
>>> with a simple tag in the file name, no more, no less. And that already
>>> died with an awful sound.
>> If everyone else has added unique repo tags, isn't the lack of a tag an
>> equally unique identifier?  I'm missing the point of argument here.
>
> So you want to reiterate the whole epel-devel repotag fiasco here
> argument by argument?

No, I want to understand the effect on an end user when only one repo
refuses to add a unique tag.  I don't want to fight the war - I want to
know which way to duck.

> The argument was that once a repo drops the
> repotag and foo-1.2.3-4 conflicts with foo-2.0.0-1.blahrepo the
> typical user assumes the former to belong to the distro proper and the
> latter to be the one causing the conflict.

I don't get it. What does the potential to drop a tag have to do with a
tag not existing in the first place?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com