[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Tue Jul 31 20:08:34 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> > No, I want to understand the effect on an end user when only one repo
> > refuses to add a unique tag.  I don't want to fight the war - I want to
> > know which way to duck.
>
> I think the issue now is that other repo's decided to drop their own
> repo tags as a result of EPEL's decision.  So that could potentially
> lead to some conflict.
>
> I think a lot of this stems from the fact that EPEL considered
> themselves a bit like Fedora Extras aka "upstream" in a sense.  Which
> actually seemed somewhat to make sense to me, but...

EPEL does not do RHEL2 nor does RHEL3. Much like Fedora Legacy you may see
that there is a big interest in RHEL5, and when RHEL6 comes out, and then
RHEL7 the interest moves on.

RHEL5 will become the RHEL2 of today.

I don't see Fedora EPEL as upstream, but I may be alone in that.