[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Tue Jul 31 20:12:28 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> > Looking at your requests on this you should realize that repotags are
> > what you are really asking for the minimum level, which is what epel
> > nuked to ashes. So the discussion should probably move away from this
> > list to the epel list. And since it's a dead topic there as well you
> > will not really get very far.
>
> I know EPEL acknowledged that the whole repo-conflicts thing is an
> issue that needed to be addressed... as has been rehashed many times,
> they just didn't like repotags.
>
> However, perhaps adding something into RPM itself could go a long way
> to addressing this in a more integrated manner?
>
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-July/msg01537.html
>
> That thread might be a good place to request that something like this
> be added.
>
> Not sure how high of a priority everyone would consider it.

Ray,

the problem is that with a Fedora mentality you are not fixing anything
until RHEL5 goes EOL. (somewhere in 2014 I think ?)

So yes, welcome to the RHEL world where workarounds are required because
Red Hat has no incentive to add features.