[CentOS] Re: Mixing RPMforge and EPEL (Was: EPEL repo)

Tue Jul 31 20:19:44 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 03:43:31PM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > > There is talk about cooperation and collaboration, however whenever Axel
> > > or Dag made any kind of suggestions on the EPEL list, they were not
> > > given very much "real" consideration.
> >
> > Only wrt to repotags.  Don't remember any serious/significant discussions
> > outside of that since.  Am I missing something?
>
> Lots of things, there was even a face-to-face meeting at LT07. Where
> it was revealed that it was spot's fault that repotags were killed
> (but I guess that's just the non-present scape-goat methology)

Well, if I remember correctly, during that meeting Max Spevack asked why
repotags were being dismissed if they fixed something that was otherwise
not fixable.

After that it was apparent repotags were going to be back. Of course, it
reappeared on the mailinglist and was voted down again.

The only way the repotags would have gotten through is if we could have
everybody from the EPEL steering commitee together and explained them
everything we did at LT07.

My believe is that repotags was not the issue. There was something else
that made it impossible. And I can not undo the thought that it is because
not having repotags makes EPEL authoritative and masks dependency
problems.

It has an unfair advantage for the repository that does not tag its
packages, and it is certainly not advantageous to the userbase.