[CentOS] yum remove 'tomcat*'?

Tue Jul 31 15:01:30 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Shawn wrote:
>>> It seems bizarre for an office suite to depend on a java servlet engine,
>>> but OK...
>
>> Now how do I get one that works under Sun java?  And is there
>>> a way to get eclipse without gcj?
>>>
>> Not from Red Hat (wrt sun java) ... they did use tomcat and gcj.  If you
>> want sun java, I imagine you would have to change the specs and rebuild.
>>   I have no idea how to do that (I have not looked at it at all).
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/JavaOnCentOS
>

>> You COULD get the OOo2 suite from the openoffice.org website ... that
>> gets rid of the tomcat issues.
>>
>> Eclipse ... not sure.
> I kept having serious issues with gcj and so went to sun's version then
> just got a .tar.gz package from eclipse.org

But that's kind of horrible because now you have to keep it updated
yourself.

> I run it with:
> -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.12/jre/bin/java -vmargs
> -XX:PermSize=1024M
>
> [-vm is because I do have gcj installed but do _not_ want to use it; -XX
> is that with sun's java and what I was doing, it would crash unless the
> vm had a larger permSize]

Doesn't the alternatives mechanism take care of that?  It doesn't seem
that well thought out, though.  What if you want to run some programs
under one java version and others with a different one?  We're trying to
update some systems currently running under centos 3.x/java 1.4.x to the
most current versions that will work so I'd like to install the 1.4,
1.5, and 1.6 versions side-by-side on the same development machine so if
we run into any problems we can easily test under earlier versions to
see if there are differences.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com