[CentOS] motherboard recommendation

Thomas Harold tgh at tgharold.com
Fri Jun 1 11:56:19 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:
> Thomas Harold wrote:
>> Robert Thompson wrote:
>>
>> Which Asus board?  And how old is the BIOS?  We've had good results
>> with the M2N-E and M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboards and Linux 2.6.  The
>> M2N32-SLI had some rough edges early on until Asus released a proper
>> BIOS for the board.
>
> Asus is finally getting their apic tables setup right? great.
>
> A8N-VM

Pretty sure I haven't tried running Linux on one of those.  That's a
socket 939 ATX board with PCIe and we only own one (which is a A8N-VM
CSM GeForce 6150 running WinXP).

I don't exactly remember which BIOS revision of the M2N32-SLI Deluxe has
issues... but at the time I was running Gentoo and the Gentoo boards
contain a good deal of information about motherboards.  Once Asus
released a good BIOS for it, I dropped Xen 3.0.2 on it and left it alone.

I also had an A8V motherboard (socket 939, VIA K8T800Pro chipset) that I
used for about a year with a 2.6 kernel.  The M2NPV-VM boards (microATX)
also seemed to work (at least with the Xen 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 LiveCD which I
was using to test APIC issues on the M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard).

(We've developed a familiarity for the Asus AM2 motherboards, so they're
the primary choice for us on the workstation / desktop side.  Plus they
have zero moving parts and a decent feature set.)