[CentOS] NFS v4

Jean Figarella jfigarella at vecna.com
Wed Jun 6 15:52:00 UTC 2007

Miark wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:32:04 +0200, Will wrote:
>
>> Under real user load though it just fell on its arse very
>> quickly and a quick fall back to v3 was implemented. Maybe the
>> EL5 implementation behaves better?
>
> I use one of my CentOS 5 boxen for low-load fileserver with
> NFS4. I've been noticing that although MP3s plays fine from
> that box, it can take a minute or two to write a dozen
> tags--something that should happen in the blink of an eye. I've
> been wondering what the problem is. Maybe it's NFS4!
>
> Miark

I've been experiencing 5 to 20 seconds freezes ever since I upgraded my
nfs server. This serves about 30 people. Anytime someone writes a big
file to their home directory, the freezes happen. You can experience the
freezes when browsing the internet, I guess because firefox is
constantly writing data (cache, cookies, etc...). Other apps freeze up too.

Now the question on my side is: can I force centos4 for serve nfs3 as
opposed to nfs4. If I am not mistaken this is dependent on the client?

The reason Im asking is that if I can force the server to serve nfs3
then the clients will default to nfs3 themselves. right?

-Jean