[CentOS] Re: Contact the CentOS WebMaster (was FlameFest Firewall Doc stuff)

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 11:34:56 UTC 2007

God help me I know I said let it die, but it was continued elsewhere
also. I'll try to keep this forest fire in ONE location.

On 6/7/07, Frank Tanner III <pctech at mybellybutton.com> wrote:

Okay, lets try to contain this to ONE forum (mailing list) please.

> See...  Your whole response to my whole firewall document thing is EXACTLY why I didn't post it on your wiki.  Because you are autocratic.  Some community.  Someone tries to GIVE to the community and the community shits on them.

You had this exact same problem last year when you did this as well.
Einstein defined insanity as someone performing the same actions and
expecting differing results.

> For the record, in less that 24 hours I had FIFTY THREE requests for the document straight from the mailing list.

Which doesn't help the THOUSANDS of users who frequent the wiki, forum
instruction, etc, and who don't wish to give up their email address to
someone they don't know on the web.  While I understand and sympathize
with your previous experiences, you have to understand theirs also.

> Actions like yours are EXACTLY why businesses don't want to use Linux in production and why they feel that Linux advocates are a bunch of whiny primadonna bitches.

Okay now this argument is just baseless. If this were the case RH
wouldn't be in business, there'd be no demand for centos, Sun wouldn't
have donated hardware, we wouldn't have over 150 mirrors worldwide,
and there wouldn't be a metric assload (yes this is a legitimate scale
of measurement, Johnny Hughes told me so) of ISVs out there offering
our software.

Not everyone uses linux. Some regard linux users as whiny bitches.
Sometimes they're right. But broad generalizations like yours are what
got you into this mess in the first place. "I had a bad experience on
1 wiki... ALL WIKIS ARE EVIL!" ... "People on the intartubes don't
want to give out their email addy to strangers and are hassling me
about it... no wonder businesses don't use linux!"

Seriously now, some points:

1. If you want COMPLETELY restricted access to post helpful
information we can provide you a spot if it's quality work.

2. You'll only have to post 1 copy of it, instead of mailing it out
every time someone asks. It'll reduce your bandwidth if you're really
concerned about it.

3. LET THIS DAMN THREAD DIE ALREADY. You advertised your piece. Folks
responded. It's done. In the future, if you don't want this kind of
response, please don't advertise it here. If you do post it to the
mailing list again, I can pretty much bet you'll get the same
response.... That's what makes CentOS so great.. it's consistent and
reliable!

</shameless plug>
George Orwell