[CentOS] how to upgrade Centos 5 correctly?

Johnny Tan jtan at limewire.com
Thu Jun 7 15:43:24 UTC 2007

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
>  My basic situation is: hundred of machines will be
> installed with Centos 5.0 by means of kickstart. and
> then the machines will always uses Centos 5.0
> kickstart images for initial installation, not Centos
> 5.1, Centos 5.2, etc.

This should work.

As I understand it, as long as you have the latest packages,
you have "5.1" or "5.2", regardless of what kickstart image
you started with.

So, what I do is rsync (from one of the mirrors to my local
repo) these directories:
centos/5/os/i386/
centos/5/updates/i386/
centos/5/os/x86_64/
centos/5/updates/x86_64/

Then, when I do a kickstart, it points to my local repo
above. So, the instant I'm done installing a machine, it
will always be at the latest release for all packages and
the OS.

(And then, of course, use a cron job to continually keep the
machine updated.)

johnn