[CentOS] Kernel Panic - possibly NFS related?

Jesse Cantara

jesse_cantara at esupport.com
Thu Jun 7 19:47:07 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately it's to ask for help in
figuring out a kernel panic I am running into.

The machine in question has run fine without problem for quite some
time, running as a database/web server. It has an identical (hardware)
twin that performs essentially the same functions, but which has not had
any kernel panics.

The only recent change I've made of note before the kernel panics
started, is to set up an NFS share on both of those machines, each of
which is mounted by three other machines. It seems like whenever there
is any more than a negligible amount of activity over those NFS shares,
that one machine gets a kernel panic. There are a relatively large
number and size of files in each of the shares (70+ gigabytes, 10,000+
files), organized into directories so there aren't more than 100 or so
files in any given directory. I'm not doing anything "weird" over the
NFS either, just reading and writing zip files.

I've never run into a kernel panic before (lucky?) and I can't find much
information about analyzing the wreckage. I don't believe any log files
are saved of the event. Otherwise, I would provide more information.

The kernel I am using is: 2.6.18-8.1.4.el5
CentOS release 5 (Final)
I don't have any unusual packages installed, just the default
configuration, apache, mysql, and a few other trivial things.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. If there is any glaring
omissions of information, please excuse me, I'd be glad to help you all
help me :) I just am not sure exactly what to provide.

Thanks,
-Jesse Cantara