[CentOS] DatOptic RAID Array >2TB?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:13:56 UTC 2007

On 6/7/07, Benjamin Karhan <simon at pop.psu.edu> wrote:

> i'm trying to set up a hardware RAID array (eRAID from DatOptic)
>    under CentOS.  we have two more of these arrays which have worked
>    very well for their purposes (backup and/or portable storage), but
>    neither of our older arrays exceeded the dreaded 2TB barrier
>    (one of them is, in fact, 2TB).

Some raid devices themselves have a 2TB limit, and you either have to
enable spanning on the raid card, or use the OS to work around this.

> the RAID array is the DatOptic eRAID, with 5 750GB disks in a
>    RAID-5 array.  the array itself seemed to have no problem
>    creating the ~3TB volume, but it does not detect as that
>    size when i hook it up.

You used parted and set the partition type as GPT right? If it's not
GPT, then you'll hit the 2TB limit with the filesystem.

>         Disk geometry for /dev/sda: 0.000-2097128.999 megabytes
>         Disk label type: gpt
>         Minor    Start       End     Filesystem  Name                  Flags

Yep, seems you're using GPT.

What filesystem are you using for this? I didn't see that informaiton
in the provided info, unless I overlooked it.

> it's important that we get full use of the array (1TB is a lot of
>    space to waste).
> anyone have any ideas, suggestions, comments, or criticisms?
> any help would be greatly appreciated...

Very much so. Worst case I'd say split it up into 1TB chunks and use
LVM to join them all.

George Orwell