[CentOS] CentOS and Wordpress

petevg at gmail.com

Fri Jun 8 23:55:10 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am currently am responsible for maintaining a website built on
Apache 2, running on some CentOS 4 (64 bit version) boxes.  Thus far,
the website has comprised a few HTML pages, and some dynamic pages
generated by perl scripts.  The CentOS install is pretty vanilla --
the only departure I've made from the default server install is to
install awstats from the rpmforge repositories.

This week, I tried to install Wordpress, and have run into a brick
wall that several days of experimentation and deep consultation with
Google have been unable to get me over.

Here's the situation:  I installed the mysql, mysql_server, and php
packages, unpacked the Wordpress tarball into a "blog" directory, and
make the necessary changes to wp-config.php.  The MySQL database works
just fine, and when I visit the blog directory, index.php runs and
informs me that I need to surf over to install.php to complete the
WordPress configuration, which is expected.

But when I try to browse to install.php, Firefox gives me the option
to save it, or run it locally -- it doesn't seem to want to run as a
server side script, for some reason.

I don't see any obvious issues with my php installation that would
cause this -- /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf is in place, is loading
module_php4, and has added a php application type to the apache setup.
I did remember to restart the http daemon after installing php. I
don't see any errors in the logs -- all I see in the apache logs is a
GET request for install.php.

The really confusing thing is that one php script -- index.php --
works just fine, while another php script -- install.php -- does not.

Has anybody run into a similar problem with WordPress, or with php4 in
general?  It feels like I'm running afoul of some bit of overzealous
security that's trying to stop php from doing Bad Things to the
system, but, sans error messages, it's been difficult to figure out
what bit of security might be responsible, and how I might go about
coaxing CentOS into allowing me to run WordPress.

And so I have come here to tap into the wisdom of the mailing list.
Might anybody here have some hints as to what I might do to solve this
puzzle?

Thank you,

--
~PeteVG

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
~ Flannery O'Connor