[CentOS] Re: is CentOS stable enough ?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Jun 12 03:38:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Feizhou wrote:

>> FWIW, I use FC6 as my primary desktop.  It's quite stable.  I wouldn't
>> use it for a server however -- too fast of a moving target.
>
> Why not? Fedora as a server is not a problem...

Except that it is supported for a max of approx 13 months. That means that if
you care at all about security updates, you are going to have to upgrade the
machine every year. That is not something I want to do with my servers.

IMO, servers should be good for at least 4-5 years, maybe longer. Depends on
how long the hardware is useful and what kind of new features you want/need.

> Fedora as a desktop however...I don't know...the few times I have seen Fedora
> Core 5/6 desktops in action, Firefox froze, keyboard input would not work all
> of a sudden...

Fedora for the desktop has been vaer stable for me and it gives me the latest
and greatest bells and whistles I want. The same frequent upgrade cycle exists
on the desktop but I am more tolerent of upgrading my desktop machine once a
year than upgrading servers. It is much easier to rebuild a desktop than a
production server.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com