[CentOS] Re: Trying to understand Suspend 2

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jun 15 12:22:32 UTC 2007

OK.  some follow-on questions.

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 07:45:25PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I am trying to understand Suspend 2 and what I have to do to get it
>> working in Centos 5.  There is quite a bit for it at ATrpms:
>>
>> http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/hibernate-suspend2/
>> http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/kernel-suspend2/
>>
>> The later is the kernel patches that they refer to at the Suspend2
>> website, so I don't have to recompile the kernel?
>>

> No, that's the kernel already built for you.

I ASSuME there is nothing there that is RH specific and can be used with
Centos.  Afterall, I HAVE been doing this for madwifi...
> But note: There is a new kernel in build and new kmdl for that kernel,
> so you may want to hold off for 12-24h before installing. You can of
> course already install the 8.1.4 kernel and then let yum update (with
> the yum-plugin-kmdl) do its magic.

Yeah, I gathered something is afoot.  I have 2.6.18-8.1.4.  But when I
included the ATrpms repo, it was trying to install 2.6.20 something (or
something similar).
>> I noticed that over at:  http://www.atrpms.net/dist/el5/madwifi/
>>
>> There are even rpms for BOTH Suspend2 and Madwifi (my situation, and I
>> have been using the 'regular' madwifi parts for over a year now).
>>

> Yes, all kmdls are built for the vendor kernel and the suspend2 kernels.
>

>> So can anyone give me a bit of guidance/confirmation on setting up Suspend2.
>>

> Point yum to ATrpms and do
>
> yum install kernel-suspend2
>
> Boot into it and if you want some kmdl like madwifi do
>
> yum install madwifi madwifi-kmdl-`uname -r`
>
> If you want to do that before booting into the new kernel then replace
> `uname -r` with the uname-r-to-be.

Now I am 'confused'.  is your first reference of  'uname -r' exactly
what I am to enter?  Or is there something I am to put in its place even
after a reboot?  And what is 'uname -r'  ????