[CentOS] CentOS5: Loss of Prompt & Cursor in Virtual Console Mode

Robert Thompson

the_drbobo at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 16 04:57:48 UTC 2007

When I log into a virtual console (e.g.,#4) as ordinary user, I
initially have a prompt & cursor. I then do several ls -l
/home/user-name and several lines of data. If the number of lines is
less than it takes to fill the screen, I will retain the prompt &
cursor. If the number of lines (resulting from that last command) fills
the screen or more, the last visible line will be data instead of the
prompt & cursor. The up arrow no longer gives the previous commands. A
clear command will restore the prompt & cursor.

This bug appeared a week or two after I installed CentOS5.   Bob T.