[CentOS] migration considerations

Michael Kress

kress at hal.saar.de
Sun Jun 17 14:02:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've got a 3ware 9550SX-4LP on a dual xeon 3.6GHz machine (no HVM
possible). 4 SATA-HDs in RAID 5 installed.
xen 3.0.3 with centos-4.4 as xen0. centos-4.4 is also installed on the
numerous xenUs. The xenUs are installed in LVs which are formatted as xfs.

Now I'd like to move over to centos 5.0
This is what I thought to be good as an upgrade procedure:

1) install a xen0 to a (bootable) USB hard disk
   this allows me to go back to my old configuration as soon as I
encounter irresolvable probs
2) mount xenU-partitions from xen0 and put modules from the
centos5-supplied kernel in there
    with this test I also test if the 3w_9xxx driver runs smoothly, I'll
try bonnie++.
3) run xenUs and test them (Will they run and work?)
4) if all runs good, install xen0 over the old xen0, make backup before.
My particular question here is: As it's important to have the 3w_9xxx
driver properly loaded with this step, is there anything special I
shouldn't forget here?

All this shouldn't take me more than 2 hours.
What's your opinion? Any more hints?

Thanks
Michael

Michael Kress, kress at hal.saar.de