[CentOS] network raid file system/server

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Jun 20 00:23:00 UTC 2007

James Fidell wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>
>> In this scenario, iscsi provides the devices remotely and the server
>> handles the raiding of the devices.
>>
>>> can you explain it a bit more detailed?
>> The boxes with disks are now just 'disk servers' and those disks are
>> exported to the servers that will provide the filesystem layer. iscsi is
>> the technology used to export the disks in this scenario.
>
> Is there a neat way to get start the partitions and get them mounted in
> this setup?  I have a server on which I want to create /dev/md0 from two
> iscsi partitions.  I then want to export /md0 to other servers using
> GFS.

What are you going to use to export the /dev/md0? gnbd? Does your
iscsi_target have a maximum of one connection limit?

> Do I have to hand-craft my own scripts to start the md devices at boot
> time and get the filesystems mounted before starting GFS, or is there
> already a way to do that?  (I don't have a problem with doing so, but
> if there's already a "right" way to do it...)

No idea. I have not actually had a chance to get GFS working whether
with iscsi or with some other device exporting solution. Sorry I cannot
help here. Maybe those who have had real experience can chip in.