[CentOS] ipmi regression in 4.5?

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Tue Jun 26 01:31:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 12:26:19PM +0100, James Pearson wrote:
> Gavin Carr wrote:
> The ipmitool-1.8.8-disabled-sensor.patch may well be to fix Woodcrest
> specific issues - but it also removes part of the code that affects
> temperature readings on (some?) Dells ...
>
> I'm not an expert on IPMI, but the code that patch did remove, looks a
> bit hacky (may be that is why it was removed?) - however, one side
> effect of this is to prevent some temperature reading on SC1435s and may
> be other Dell hardware. I have no idea if the 'real' issue is with
> ipmitool or the Dell hardware.
>
> However, if you rebuild OpenIPMI without that patch, then ipmitool will
> work as before when reading temperatures on SC1435s
>
> It is not a kernel issue - you get the same problem using ipmitool
> talking over the lanplus interface (which goes nowhere near the kernel).
>
> The simple work around is to use ipmitool from the CentOS 4.4 RPM (as
> the only change to ipmitool between 4.4 and 4.5 were the Woodcrest fixes).
>
> I have created an updated SRPM which reverses that part of the Woodcrest
> fixes that affect these Dells - if you are interested, the SRPM is at:
>
> <ftp://ftp.moving-picture.com/private/OpenIPMI-1.4.14-1.4E.17a.src.rpm>

Fantastic - thanks for your explanation and the SRPM James. For the record,
James appears to be completely correct and his SRPM fixes my problems here
on CentOS 4.5 - woohoo!

His patch also applies cleanly to the current CentOS 5 package and fixes
the problem there as well - a patched SRPM is available here for anyone else
experiencing the problem:

  http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/dist/OpenIPMI-2.0.6-5.of.el5.3a.src.rpm

(and binary packages are in http://www.openfusion.com.au/mrepo/).

Cheers,