[CentOS] where is smbmount on centOS 5

Wojtek.Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Fri Jun 29 12:54:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> smbfs has been depreciated.  See this wiki for mounting Windows shares:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares
>
> Akemi

On Fedora6, I have noted the folowing problems when using cifs to connect to
NT shares:

- cp -vip does not copy mtime; tar x does copy mtime
  (it seems setting modtime by fname does work, setting by handle does not)
- when there is a share mounted from a NT/2000 server which is not used for long time
  mounting another share from the same servers reliably fails ;
  touching the already mounted share (ls is OK) allows the mount so succeed.
- when using vim to edit a file on the share and trying to write it, vim often
  says that the file has been modified in the meantime
- perhaps most annoying: somtimes modifying a file located on NT 4 Workstation share with vim,
  it becomes permanently unavailable until NT is rebooted.
  It happens rarely, I do not know how to trigger it on demand.

Those problems did not happen when using smbfs from CentOS 4.4.

I am wondering if CentOS 5 has these problems?
Anyone using cifs from CentOS 5 to access NT-exported share, would care to comment?

Thanks,

Wojtek