[CentOS] Migration help please - moving OS to a different LVM partition

Tue Jun 19 18:28:44 UTC 2007

I have set up a migration between two drives.  fIrst I got Centos 5
working how I wanted on this drive, then set about copying it to another
drive.

The Centos files on both drives are in sub-partitions in an LVM
partition on their respective drives.

I first did a minimum install on the new drive and saved all those files
to a separate directory.

The LVM partititons and sub-partitions all have unique names.

Well it has been a bit of a struggle to say it nicely.  Seems the LVM
names are buried all over the place.

Of course I had to change /boot/grub/grub.conf, /boot/grub/menu.lst, and
/etc/fstab

But more than that was the contents of /etc/lvm  So for those I just
restored what was created in the minimum install.

Still I cannot get the new drive to boot.

If I boot with the latest kernel (which I copied to the new drive), I
get a message finding the new LVM partition, could not find the old LVM
partition then:

Mount: could no find filesystem /dev/root

and a kernel panic.

If I get the boot menu and select the kernel installed with the minimum
install, it gets a little further.

It still tries to find the old LVM partition, cannot find
/lib/modules.dep in the /lib/modules directory for this kernel (forget
the whole filename), and then:

fsck.ext3 Unable to resolve 'label=/boot'

and then get dropped into a maintenance mode with the file system
mounted in readonly mode.

So what Have I Missed?

Or is this a lost cause and I should just do a full install on the new
drive and proceed from there????