[CentOS] Program that opens documents with their associated program

Wed Jun 20 22:00:43 UTC 2007
bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at>

This may be a TOTALLY trivial question (and maybe inappropriate for
this list), but I don't know where else to ask it:

On my Mac I've got this wonderful command line utility that opens
documents with the program that is associated to them in the Finder
(the graphical file manager) like they were clicked in the
file-manager. For instance: if I type

open testdocument.doc

it opens the file with Word or OpenOffice (whatever is associated with
the document type .doc). This is quite convenient (don't have to leave
the shell to open a document)

My question: Is there a similar command on CentOS (or more specifially
GNOME, because obviously it has to take the associations from some
kind of GUI-filemanager)? I was looking around, but this is the kind
of question where googling doesn't turn up anything useful unless you
know the name of the command.

Thanks